Name of the project: Accessibility in Digital Communication Higher Education Curricula
Field: Higher Education
Project website/link: https://www.funka.com/en/adore/
Project funding/programme: Erasmus+ – KA220-HED – Cooperation partnerships in higher education
Time frame: 1.11.2021-31.10.2023
Total costs: 169.331,00 €
Co-funding rate (in %): 0%
The amount of co-financing (UM FERI share): 28.904,00 €
UM FERI Coordinator: doc. dr. Boštjan Šumak
- Tallinn University (project coordinator: Dr. Anastassia Zabrodskaja, Media and Arts School)
- Funka Nu AB,
- University of Maribor, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Paris-Lodron University Salzburg, and
- INUK Institut za napredno upravljanje komunikacij
The main objective of the ADORE project is to educate university teaching and training staff working in the field of communication on accessible content publishing and how to provide a more inclusive teaching experience in communication programmes. The specific objectives for the ADORE project include:
- To analyse the current situation and bridge the gaps with regards to accessibility training needs of university staff in the field of communication.
- To identify the issues faced by people with disabilities, immigrants and older adults when accessing content on the internet.
- To identify higher education courses and programmes related to the field of communication where there is an opportunity for accessibility to be included in the curricula.
- To improve the accessibility knowledge of university teachers and trainers in the field of communication.
- To prepare students of higher education courses in communication for the demands of the labour market.
- To increase the uptake of accessibility in the higher education communication curricula in European universities.
All the project activities are geared to producing results that will contribute to achieving the project objective to educate university teaching and training staff working in the field of communication on how to publish content and teach in an accessible way. The main activities that will be carried out during the project include:
- Accessibility training needs analysis for university teaching and training staff in fields related to communication.
- Identification of main issues faced by people with disabilities, immigrants and older adults when accessing communication content.
- Mapping of university curricula in fields related to communication where accessibility training can be implemented.
- Co-creation of needs-based accessibility training toolkit for university teaching and training staff.
- Development of a set of personas representing professional profiles in the field of accessible communication.
- Recommendations on the inclusion of accessibility knowledge and training materials in curricula for university programmes related to communication.
The project will establish a unique partnership between higher education institutions, training organizations, and the private sector. The overarching goal is to mainstream accessibility skills in higher education curricula for communication disciplines. It will also aim to prepare students for the current and future needs of the economy and society.
UM FERI Activities
UM FERI is actively collaborating in all project activities and is a leading partner in the activity Mapping of higher education communication programmes to provide an overview of all the higher education communication programmes that can be improved by including accessibility in their curricula. UM FERI will also participate in activities related to the survey on accessibility training needs of university teaching and training staff work in the field of communication.